Project 9: Fine Art Portraiture

This picture of Cora was taken in front of the stairwell by senior and sophomore hall. I used the black backdrop to focus the image entir...

This picture of Cora was taken in front of the stairwell by senior and sophomore hall. I used the black backdrop to focus the image entirely on her. I chose to take it there because of the lighting which illuminated a half of her face and the natural lighting that is much more flattering than the fluorescent lighting at Lincoln.  I posed her in this image in a way that would be natural but create interesting lines in the image. I got the idea for the pose from Pinterest where I saw a similar position however I like Cora's hand the most in this image because it is illuminated and made a really interesting shape next to her darkened face. I chose to shoot this with slightly darker exposure because I really like how that looks and I really like what shadows it can create. The area was darker so the exposures sound relatively normal. I shot with a lower end ISO at 640 because I didn't want to make her grainy or noisy and I wanted the image to remain smooth. I shot with a medium exposure at 1/400th of a second so she would be clear and I could capture her movement. I shot with an aperture of 1/4.5 so that I could block out the background with depth of field.
I chose this image because of the classic affect I tried to achieve with it. I shot this with the studio lighting in the stairwell so it would be very well lit and the light would be directly at her profile so all her features and hair would be lit. I chose the hat simply to add variety to the images and I posed her like this because it softened her features and made her look more kind. I decided to edit this by split toning it slightly. making the shadows red and the highlights blue as I had seen this coloring in many classic portraits.


I chose this image mainly because of the facial expression. I always like choosing Josie as my subject because she's very photogenic and she has very unconventional features. I had her pose in this way because it was almost cheekily pensive but the way her eyes stray from the image make it so she appears very observant and natural. I shot with lighting slightly to  her right so that her face would be dimensional and I used my flash because it would illuminate her skin while creating contrast with the rest of the image. I used the same camera controls as I used with Cora to capture the same darker, noise free image.


This final image of Cora is one of my favorites because of the lighting. The side ways lighting is really apparent in this image and it creates interesting shadows on her face. He white shirt creates really nice contrast with the black background and her hair is highlighted by my flash. I told her to look at me straight on and naturally so that I could capture whatever emotion she had in her expression. I also shot this with the same exposure as it was the same lighting as all the other images.



You Might Also Like

0 comments