Project 8 - Surrealism

For the surrealism project I created my main image and two secondary images:  Reflections Process : The idea for this image came while...

For the surrealism project I created my main image and two secondary images:

 Reflections
Process: The idea for this image came while I was searching for inspiration online. I noticed when I searched for surrealistic images, lots of them were people with their heads replaced by clouds. While I wanted to make my own image, I really liked the aesthetic and decided to emulate a similar form. This image is composed of four different image used multiple times. The image of the smoke is food coloring mixed with cream taken at a very high shutter speed in water. I cut out the suits and smoke and used the liquify tool to make the smoke fit more into the neck hole. I placed these on a sky background and then used the black and white layer mask on top of that. I combined the suits and smoke to make the figure and then copied the layer twice, flipping them horizontally so that it was symmetrical. I then merged these three layers and the sky layer. I used the transform tool to adjust the water layer I placed on the image and duplicated the layer with the men and sky. I flipped it vertically and reduced the fill of that layer to 60% and placed it on top of the water to create the reflections.
Meaning: The intention of this image was very simple. The meaning I intend to illustrate is that the majority of people refuse to be truly self reflective. I illustrated this by using the three men in suits looking at a reflection, and the smoke is to illustrate how they'd rather "self destruct" to avoid true reflection.


Secondary Images:
These two images were ones I created before coming up with my primary image.
Mosaic
This image was the first I created. It was a very simple process. I used a sky background to start out with and layered an image of a tulip I took many times on it, slightly transformed to add variety. I then made these a screen layer so that the sky would show through. I made the birds by taking one of my kaleidoscopes and warping them into shape, duplicating the layer many times to create the flock. I layered my friend on top and made her a multiply layer to make her appear like a shadow but light enough features are still visible. I made the background have a mosaic filter and tinted the image green. I chose to post this one because I like the color scheme and the way it almost appears less like digital art and more like a physical painting or drawing. The meaning behind it was to have beauty behind her and have her be blocking a large part of it to show how distracted we get by darkness and forget about the larger picture (no pun intended).

Traveler
This image was very simple to make.  I took several images of stars, landscapes, and the sky and layered them with multiply layers to create the background. I then cut Josie out and put her right in the third of the image to give it a nice composition. I tinted it green to make it otherworldly and space like. The meaning behind this image is very similar to the latter; Basically, we shield ourselves from the present because we are constantly looking ahead.

You Might Also Like

0 comments