Project 7: Alternative Processes Through Digital Means

Daguerrotype: To make this daguerrotype, I used several "dark world" textures from the internet. I layered them with the image us...

Daguerrotype:
To make this daguerrotype, I used several "dark world" textures from the internet. I layered them with the image using the multiply mode and used a brush tool to bring out her face in a layer mask. I chose this image because it was more timeless than my others and it looked more realistic in terms of an older process. I downloaded images of a daguerrotypes from the internet and placed them on top of my image, erasing the contents but keeping the distorted and burnt borders. I added  a vignette to replicate the film look and converted the photo to black and white. I added a "dust and scratches" and a "grain" filter to make it more realistic. I edited the curves to flatten it and make it more metallic.



Gum Bichromate #1:
This first gum bichromate I used a multiple exposure of my friend Erin. I decided to go with the easier tutorial with the split toning for this one because I wanted to use the frame from an image off the internet. Instead of using my own, I cut off the border of a true gum bichromate and layered it with my own.


Gum Bichromate #2:
For this gum bichromate I went with the more complicated CMYK method. I filled in the colored selections with their corresponding color. I didn't like the pop art effect so I muted the colors.

Cyanotypes:
I converted both these images to black and white and edited the levels. I painted a black section on to a white background and placed the images in "lighten" mode on top.




Polaroid Emulsion:
This was my 'choice' alternative process. I found a tutorial at http://www.ephotozine.com/article/polaroid-image-lift---the-digital-way--4904 - basically, you crop the image to a square and place it on a white background. You distort the image and borders of the image to create wrinkle like affects. I really enjoyed this process because I really like the way real polaroid emulsion lifts look and it was cool to replicate them in photoshop.



You Might Also Like

0 comments