Project Four Part One: Photos Showing Balance/Contrast

Contrast in Color: This photo is of the stars in Bend. To capture the stars correctly, I had to use a wide aperture of f/1.4 and an 8 sec...

Contrast in Color:
This photo is of the stars in Bend. To capture the stars correctly, I had to use a wide aperture of f/1.4 and an 8 second exposure. The ISO also as high as it can go on my camera, at 5000, and as a result the pictures were very blown out and overexposed (intentionally). Because of the way I shot, taking all the light in as possible, I was able to capture the stars regardless of the city lights and once I lowered the exposure they became very clear. The city lights ended up leaving an orange hue on the cloud in the picture which contrasted with the blue night sky.
Symmetrical Balance: 
This is a portrait of my friend Lindsay. I had been using a tripod before, shooting normal pictures and she was looking down the hall. I used to do double exposures with polaroid film so I found a setting on my camera that held the digitally held the file in place to mimic a triple exposure with film. I had her move her head slowly to the right and took the photos so they would be roughly the same on each side.

Contrast in Value:
This is a photo of trees next to a silo at council crest. I took it focused on the trees, which blew up the sky in contrast.  I took it with a small aperture of f/8.0 and a low ISO at 100, which helped create the backlit effect.


Contrast in texture:
This is a portrait of my friend Josie. I asked her specifically to do this with me because I wanted her freckles in the photo and because she's really pretty but also very interesting looking, very nontraditional looking. Her freckles looked really interesting contrasted and the sweatshirt creates a textural contrast with her softer skin and hair, as well as the rougher bark behind her. In this edit I messed with the color balance, because this photo is very slightly saturated. I shot at an ISO of 100, and fstop at f/13, and a 1/100 of a second exposure.


 Contrast in value:
I was trying to figure out how to pan when I took this photo, which accounts for the blurred background and nearly in focus figure. The lighting in this photo was behind the subject, so it became backlit, creating contrast in value. This was shot at a slow shutter speed, 1/30th of a second, so that I could capture the movement and a wide aperture at f/1.4 so that I could move the camera and capture more. Panning is when you move with the subject so having a wider aperture allows you to capture more, because the hole is wider. To compensate for the amount of light let in I set the ISO at 100.


Contrast in Texture:
This is a candid picture of my friend's shoes.  The smooth ground with dark grooves and the rough black shoes create a contrast in texture. I amped up the clarity and lowered the saturation to focus in on the feet.  For some reason this image was very visually appealing and interesting, because you wonder the emotion behind the foot positions. I shot this at f/16, an exposure of 1/13 of a second, and an ISO at 500.



Asymmetrical Balance:
This is a photo taken early morning near a reservoir near Hood River. The photo looks balanced even though there is a car on one side and empty space on the other.  The shallow depth of field is a result of a wide aperture at f/ 1.4, a short shutter speed to compensate for light let in from the aperture (1/1000) and a low ISO (320) to remove any grainy aspects.

You Might Also Like

0 comments